Thursday, March 8, 2012

"19% of Ryanair flights arrive." - Katie was right.

"Ryanair regrets that following an operational review, the below flights will cease operation."

1st thought: "Omg, no!  No! No. No. No. No. No. ¡No! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"
2nd thought: "Wait, which flights??!"
3rd thought: "Please, not my flight to Krakow in three weeks."

And there you have the mild panic I felt this morning when I opened up my e-mail.  Thanks, Ryanair.  When you travel a lot and obsessively plan your trips, an e-mail like this kind of freaks you out.  I am scheduled to visit nine cities in the next two months, which explains that 2nd thought, "Which flights??!"  

It turns out that Ryanair has canceled my flights to and from London for the April-May puente.  Rescheduling shouldn't be that big of a deal, but this trip is a bit complicated.  I planned to fly first to London, spend two days there, fly to Oslo, take a fjord tour near Bergen, fly from Oslo to London, do a day trip to Brighton, and finally fly from London to Madrid.  So actually, rescheduling is a big deal.  A very big deal.  I had it all lined up perfectly so all the flights would connect through Gatwick Airport in London.  Now Ryanair tells me they have discontinued their service to Gatwick during the week of my vacation.  Lovely...

Disclaimer: The on-board announcement actually says, "90% of Ryanair flights arrive on time."  But that's not what we heard.

Now seems like the perfect time to share Ryanair's safety instructions that I photographed on the way to Granada in October of 2009.  Please take note of the water landing evacuation procedure.  It's not labeled as a water landing, but the announcement tells you that's what it is.

In the event of a water landing, slide down the slide, 
then RUN AWAY.

Wondering how this was all resolved?  Several anxious hours later...

Well, it's not as simple as changing my flight to a different time, because Ryanair apparently will not be flying to Gatwick Airport at all for the next several months.  Instead, I had to buy a new flight on a different airline. Sadly, this new flight was over twice as expensive as the first one.  I know, it sucks.  But since my flight to Oslo and my day trip to Brighton both leave from Gatwick Airport, I really needed to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment