Monday, February 6, 2012

French Update: "C'est l'heure de la sieste."

I'd like to start off by saying that my French class has become much more standard, and that class is now held regularly, and I'm learning a lot.  Except that none of that is true.  Well, thanks to Marissa, my personal French consultant, I'm learning a lot.

Out of seven scheduled classes at the UAM, two and a half have been held, so it's not completely fair to say that I'm not learning there.  I am learning.  Today, I learned how to say, "C'est l'heure de la sieste," which means, "It's time for a siesta."  I'm not sure how useful that sentence will be outside of Spain.  I have made some progress though.  Here are the useful sentences I've learned:

Je vais faire du magasin.  Ça coûte combien?  Je voudrais du gâteau.  C'est l'heure de la sieste.

I'm gonna do some shopping.  How much does it cost?  I'd like some cake.  It's time for a siesta.

Realistically, that's probably all I need to know.  I can definitely get through life with those.  But just in case, I'm going through the text from French I on my own, and I'm absorbing vocab and grammar like a sponge.  At least, that's the plan.  

Knowing Spanish is a huge help.  I'm finding that learning French through Spanish seems easier than it would probably be to learn French through English because both Spanish and French are romance languages.  That means there are tons of cognates between the two languages, and that the grammar has many similarities.  Thanks to this, I can understand much of what I read in French.  Sometimes I understand French when I'm listening to a person talk, but other times I don't.  And I can't respond to any questions yet unless they involve me reciting one of the four sentences above.  Little by little. It'll happen.

Oh, by the way - I'm keeping a count: The 10th person here asked me if I was French a few days ago.  Obviously, this didn't happen while I was desperately trying to scramble French syllables together to form words - never mind sentences.  My goal is to learn more French by the time the 11th person asks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment