Saturday, September 3, 2011

Florida - Miami, Key Biscayne, & Ft. Lauderdale

August 5, 2011 - August 8, 2011

Green Tea Ice Cream
This August, my family went to Miami to help Marissa move back into college to begin her second year at UM.  Marissa is an RA this year, which is super fabulous, and we helped her unpack her things in her RA suite.  Her room is cute, and typical of a dorm.  Definitely cuter after decorating.  For dinner, we went to Moon Thai, one of her favorite places, and had green tea ice cream, which was delicious.  There are palm trees all over Marissa's campus.  It's totally different than BU.

Lighthouse of Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park
The next day, we went to Key Biscayne and went swimming in Crandon Park.  We decided that going to Florida and not spending at least some time at the beach would be sort of weird.  I dipped my toes in to the Atlantic, expecting the water to be frigid like it is in Boston, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the water was warm.  It was actually warm enough to swim!  Being from the midwest and living near the Great Lakes, I had forgotten that the ocean is salty...until I swallowed a mouthful of the Atlantic.  Ick!  On the beach, there was a great light house too.  We took a bunch of pictures.  Apparently, the lighthouse is the oldest standing structure in Miami-Dade county.  It was first built in 1825, and reconstructed in 1846.

We stayed for the next few days with our cousins, Sue, Steve, and Alex.  It was great to see them since we're really close with them, and I haven't seen them in a few years. Alex cooked some seriously good steaks; he's an intense cook.

Various fabrics for tutus
Tutu manikin

Sue gave us a tour of Algy, her costume company!  It was so cool to see all the steps that go into imagining, designing, and building the costumes.  Afterwards, I got a tour of the tutu factory too!  Before the tour, I had no idea that there are so many different variables in making a tutu.  You have to use several different fabrics, and the tutu will either stick straight out or flop down more depending how long each of the stiff layers is.  Also, the layers can be sewn closer together or father apart for added variation.
At Algy
So many sequins!  Love it!

At Algy
As a graduation gift, my cousins gave me a black pancake tutu and a white euro tutu with a matching leotard.  All in all, the day was hugely exciting!  In case you don't know, my cousin, Sue, got me into dancing when I was just 2 years old.  She gave me my first pink tutu, and I apparently wore it every day for a week, and told my parents I wanted to be, "a pink ballerina."  Since then, I've gotten taller and older, but not much else has changed.  I'm still dancing!

I hope to help Marissa move in again next summer so we can all visit together.  Until then, I'll hopefully get to skype with my cousins and talk to them soon!
Family dinner (missing Marissa and Alex)

No comments:

Post a Comment