Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dear Thanksgiving, where are you?

Tonight I ate pasta for Thanksgiving. I actually like pasta much better than turkey, but nonetheless, it was, well...different. Don't get me wrong, I love pasta. And the mango ice cream/sorbet mix for dessert was delicious - Mom you would've loved it.

For the first time in my life I went to work and to school on Thanksgiving. It's just been a really strange day. I went shopping for almost four hours and didn't buy one single thing. I didn't even buy a snack even though I saw a bag of popcorn in a store window.

Now I'm just hanging out, trying not to fall asleep, while I wait for my family to sign in to Skype so I can say hi. We have a Skype date around 6 pm Chicago time / 1 am Madrid time. I hope they get on Skype soon so I can stop writing about feeling weird and feelings and all that. As many of you have heard me say, "I have the emtional capacity of a rock." Well, it's not quite true, because I'm sort of sad now, but it'd be nice to do something else so I could at least ignore the feeling or get rid of it.

I've asked at least three different people to give some turkey to Maddie, the little carnivorous animal that she is. So, I expect that she'll get at least a little bit - she really loves turkey. She also seemed to like the pumpkin pie that she snatched from the table last year. Hmm...I think the verb "to snatch" implies that the subject has hands. Whatever. I would also appreciate if someone could brush her doggie-teeth after dinner for me since I won't be there to do it. Don't worry, she won't bite you - she loves her toothpaste. Thanks.

I was watching a movie with my host family a while ago today, and I'm happy to report that finally, after like 3 months here, I can understand what they say in movies. Well, in this movie anyways. Some are more difficult. I understand the dubbed movies a lot better than movies that are originally in Spanish. I can understand the news now too. It's great!

5 comments:

  1. Pops accidentally dropped a full slice of turkey. I'm not sure if it hit the floor before Maddie wolfed it down. With what I, Marissa, and others also gave her, she had two full dinners. No throwup...yet. Cross your fingers.

    We had a great time with you on skype and everyone taking turns at the table talking with you. So you may not have eaten turkey, but you SAW it!!! hehehe (says Marissa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    Just wanted to say that we really missed you last night! Pasta could become the "new" Thanksgiving! I kind of like that! Where did you go shopping? Can't wait to chat with you later! Stuart and Brenda will be her...maybe you'll get to talk to them:)
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Dana,

    I just wanted to say thanks for staying up till 2am (or later, i"m not sure how late you were up) to chat with us. I've been a not good at staying in touch friend and to see your face and hear your voice was splendid. I cannot wait for you to come back. Better prep yourself for a Mona hug. I don't care if you don't want one.

    &hugs,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad - heehee, glad lil' beagz got so much turkey. i bet she loved it! are you sure he dropped this slice accidentally? lol.

    Mom - yes, it was great talking to all of you too! what an odd day. Are Stuart and Brenda coming to the After Thanksgiving party in december? I hope so! I went shopping at Corte Ingles. Saw a gorgeous purple Burberry coat for about 700 euros. I didn't buy it. Obviously.

    Mona - Hi!!! Yes, it was superly fun getting to see you over skype and say hello! :-D I'm really bad at keeping in touch too, so no worries. Thanks for the heads up about the hug - I'll go invest in a suit of armor now so that I don't get squished...lol. See you in a few weeks.


    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Beth here. I concur - it was great seeing you and talking to you on Skype, but your physical presence was definitely missing. I gave Maddie a carrot. Papa Howie gave her a big slice of turkey. It was the first slice he cut. He said it was an accident, but I'm not so sure....

    ReplyDelete