Friday, November 20, 2009

Ballet!!!

So, I love the ballet classes here. They're great, and it's a good studio. The students are serious about dance. So much so that they don't go to school - kind of like in Houston. They dance all day long. Great teachers, nice studios, technical work...sweet! Dana-friendly. I went to class yesterday night and this morning, and I'm a lot less sore than last week. making progress...

For the first time in my life, I can honestly say that I used turn out muscles properly...it only took long enough. I was always like, "Um, yeah, I'm using that muscle. Yep, I can feel that...sure..." Now I definitely can. Yay! Maybe this will put a definite end to my everlasting knee injuries from 8th grade. If not, I'm sure ibuprofen will do the trick. It always has.

There's one girl in the class who is sooooo good. She has won a bunch of international classical competitions. She's like crazy good.

I sort of wondered why they were all so thin (aside from not living in the US), and then I saw like half of them smoking in between every class, which is typical for dancers. These people seriously have legs that are the height of my entire body. Like, you have to back up about 3 feet when they do an arabesque turn.

Although I'm sort of sad I'll never look like that, I must say that I think smoking is a nasty habit. Aside from slowly killing everyone around you, it makes your teeth gross. Would you want your teeth to be gross after paying so much for braces??? Hmm...not so much. Plus it makes you smell bad. I actually move away from people on the metro who smell like cigarettes. Basically, if you smoke, I don't like you. Well, I like the dancers, but they're dancers. And I guess I like a very small selection of other people I know who smoke, but not too many.

Interestingly, I expected to find more smokers in Paris that I did. Everyone always told me that Paris was full of smoke in the air. But I think there are far more smokers in Madrid. Every weekend when I come back from dinner I seriously have to hang my clothes out the window for like and entire week to get them to air out. You try airing out a wool pea coat - it's not that easy.

Anyways, today I'm going to another art museum. Then I might shop a bit. Tomorrow I think I'm going to go see the new Twilight movie - as long as there's popcorn. And somewhere in between all of that, I will be writing a 10 page paper about Don Quijote and his interactions with and perceptions of enchantments. Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Wait - Did I hear mention of homework? Oh - are you in school? I thought maybe you were just traveling and sight-seeing this semester!

    Just kidding, of course! And maybe it took a break from ballet for your muscles to learn the right way to turn out!

    ReplyDelete