Monday, September 14, 2009

Why are you looking at me?

So, they told us in orientation that it´s common for people to stare at other people here and not to look away embarrased when you catch them. It´s not considered rude; rather, it´s open curiosity or something like that. Naturally, I´ve been looking around to see if people are staring at me. They are. On the metro, strolling around the city, etc.  It´s kind of strange to get used to since they don´t look down or away when I catch them like at home. The intense stare makes me wonder if my hair is messy, if there´s food in my teeth, or if I have food or a spot on my clothes. But I never do. I guess must be a funny looking American.

Since the clothing here is much more interesting than at home, I´ve taken the opportunity to stare back. That way I can get the idea of what kinds of shoes and purses I should buy. :-D The best place to watch people is on the metro, but it´s also the most obvious on the metro that you´re watching becase everyone looks back at you.

3 comments:

  1. They are staring because you are a beautiful American! :~)! Don't spend all of your money the first week!
    Love,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spend all my money? Well, I had to buy a cell phone, and I've been getting charged waaaaaay too much on it. Other than that, no, I have not done anything in the realm of shopping besides window shopping yet. Perhaps this weekend... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana - I was kidding because you wrote about the shoes and purses! Stephanie never got a cell phone when she was in India, because it was waaayyy cheaper to just call from an internet cafe (I have no idea if that's a possibility in Spain, and I (as a Mom) definitely would have felt safer if she had her own phone there) - but it might be worth checking out the cost at an Internet cafe, for a planned phone call home!

    Stay safe, healthy, and happy!

    Love ya!

    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete