Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Photo Controversy - Hijas de Zapatero


There has been a ton of controversy here over this photo. People are upset that Zapatero's daughters went in their usual gothic attire to Pittsburgh where they met Pres. Obama and Michelle Obama. Everyone seems to feel that the responsibility falls on the parents to teach their children about dressing appropriately for different occasions. Going to school is not the same as meeting a foreign president and his super-fashionista wife. Although many people do not have a problem with the daughters dressing in this style on a daily basis to "express their gothic selves," they feel that since much of politics is based on images, people will think that this photo represents the youth of Spain. It definitely does not. There's a time and a place for self-expression, and this was not it. No one (from Spain) that I've heard talking seems to feel differently.

The only person who thought it was okay for the two girls to dress like this and express their gothic-ness was an American (being interviewed by a Spanish TV channel), probably because Americans are pretty intense about protecting self-expression, sometimes a little too intense maybe.

After seeing the photo (a tiny, blurred version), it didn't look, to me, like they were dressed very gothically compared to some people I've seen. However, for such an official occasion, I agree that it would've been prudent to choose less controversial clothing so that after the conference the world would discuss the issues at stake rather than teenagers' clothing.

Disclaimer: Sorry about any spelling/grammar mistakes. I would proofread, but I have a lot of homework that's due tomorrow. Bye.

3 comments:

  1. Cute photo! I could see where this would be a hot topic in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I knew it was outrageous that it was published because of the laws in Spain, so I thought people would be up in arms over it being printed. It hadn't occurred to me that people would be analyzing their garb for its appropriateness. For the record, I'm all for self-expression, but I don't think I'd let my kids meet the president in combat boots and shapeless black dresses . . . T&P!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the other 2 people in the photo the girls' parents?

    ReplyDelete