Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hey y'all.

The other day I came back to my room and noticed my laundry had been taken - bag an all. I didn't know when it was coming back, and realized I might have to plan out my outfits a little better since I brought 1/4 of my wardrobe, maybe less, with me to Spain. Then...the next day when I returned to my room after class, I found all my laundry perfectly folded and stacked on my bed. Sweet. Anyways, today I met Celeste, the woman from the Dominican Republic who comes here to work Monday through Friday. She's really nice. She warmed up my lunch when I arrived back from class. I'm glad I met her so I could thank her for doing my laundry. Who knew studying abroad came with such perks?

This is awesome. In Boston I bring as many clothes as possible so I can do my laundry as infrequently as possible. At home in summer...well, doing my laundry may as well be a special event since it almost never happens.

I have one class on Monday, two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and one of Thursday. Plus I'm anticipating a trip to Morocco and another to France. All my profs are super cool. I do not have to do my laundry!!! Life is good. No, life is really, really, really good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final list of my classes (I hope) :

Traducción a través del cine y del teatro
Cervantes y Don Quijote
Cine español
Internship

My text books are all from different bookstores. I have to find all these places this weekend and buy one book at each store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the people here have an afinity for red pants. I see at least three people wearing tomato-red pants every single day. Perhaps I should get some. I've seen lots of people wearing white pants too. I'm definitely not buying those. I'm too likely to sit on some sort of food that's not white. Not happening.

(Rather than write transition sentences, I've decided these lines work. Besides, how would you transition between classes and tomato-red pants?)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While riding the metro, I've become aware of some of my apparently American habits:

1. The necesity of having my cell phone in my hand always, especially on the train and while walking somewhere.
People here just don't talk on their cell phones while on the train, walking, etc. In fact, I can count the number of people I've seen talking on cell phones with my 10 fingers since I arrived here last Wednesday/Thursday - the really long 35 hour day.

2. ipod - Ok, so this is not my habit. I rarely ever listen to my ipod on a train or while I'm walking. The difference is that ipod-train-walk-ing is fairly uncommon here. Some people do it, but it's not like in Boston where 95% of the students put in their ipods and earphones for a 3 minute walk.

3. Constantly checking the time. Maybe it's just me and my obsessive need to arrive on time for everything, but people seem less panicy about time. Then again, when I check the time on my Spanish cell, I have no idea what 17:22 means, so I end up checking again a minute later because I still don't know what time it is. Wait...17-12=5, so 5:22 pm. I'll get there.

That's all, TTFN.

1 comment:

  1. Dana - its a good idea for you to learn military time, because that's what is used in hospitals! Glad you are doing well - I wasn't able to read your posts for the past 10 days due to "unforseen circumstances" - so I'm catching up now!

    Tomato red pants would look cute on you. I would avoid white for the same reasons - I'd probably initiate them with some chocolate!

    Happy & healthy New Year to you - and can you send the lady from the Dominican Republic here to do my laundry too?

    Love,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete